UNION DUES REFUND POLICY
This policy applies to members who have paid PCAM dues greater than the current yearly amount of $1,300, often due to being employed at more than one region. According to the contract, the employer is required to deduct PCAM dues as directed in Article 4.01.
PCAM will refund members who have paid dues greater than $1,300 annually. See here for more information
Continuing Professional Development
Starting February 2019 all Physician and Clinical Assistants in Manitoba must track and comply with College of Physician and Surgeons of Manitoba (CPSM) License Regulations to track professional development on an ongoing basis.
This is done via third party organizations that have online tracking capabilities and will report your ongoing progress to the CPSM. PCAM does not independently endorse any one third party organization however there are obvious benefits to Physician Assistants to continue through CAPA as the majority of you already do. Also for Clinical Assistants the cheapest options is through CAPA ($240/year) as you would get access to the Royal College CPD tracking tool
PCAM has researched the following three options that exist for both PAs and CAs:
2. The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC) Mainport (MOC) program
- Approx $630/year
- Require 40 credits yearly, 400 in 5 years.
- Website Link
3. The Canadian Association of Physician Assistants (CAPA) which uses the RCPSC Mainport program
- Approx $240/year for Clinical Assistants (Non-Member CPD tool only status)
- Approx $700/year for Physician Assistants (Member status)
- Uses Royal College Mainport program with same credit requirements
Clincal Assistants: If you choose to track your CPD through CAPA, below are the steps to follow.
Go to https://capa-acam.ca/register/ to become a CAPA member.
- Select “Non-PA CPD Tracking Tool” as your membership type.
- Once your CAPA membership registration is received; CAPA will send a CPD Profile template to complete and return to CAPA.
- Once the template is completed and returned to CAPA; a request to create your CPD Tracking Tool profile will be sent by CAPA to the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (The Royal College).
- The Royal College has advised that they will create new profiles (5-year cycle for the period of January 1, 2019 to December 31, 2023) during the second week of January 2019.
- CAPA will email your unique CPD Tracking Tool credentials (you will be prompted to create a password upon initial login) to you when they are available (mid-January).
For enquiries about the CPSM’s requirement for a Continuing Professional Development Program, please contact the CPSM Standards Department – Kim Hare (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Carol Chester-McLeod (email@example.com).